Thursday 27 September 2012

A good investment

Recently I got an invitation to a night out that had me raising my eyebrows: one of my girlfriends had decided it was time we all manned up and had a poker night in.

My imagination went into overdrive. Pictures flashed through my head of us all sitting in a dark smoke-filled room, cigars dangling from our lips and glasses of whisky in front if us as we muttered "I'll see your three and raise you five" in raspy voices while we casually tossed a few chips onto the pile in the middle.

Clearly I have no idea how to play poker.

The Boy, and many other people actually, have valiantly attempted to teach me but there's simply no teaching someone who has the attention span of a goldfish.
Ten minutes in I normally start to feel daring and throw everything I've got onto the pile on the back of the pair of threes I'm holding. Needless to say I then spend the next few hours watching someone else amass a nice pile of chips in front of them. I call this my 'blaze of glory' act. After a few attempts at playing I'd sworn I'd never play again.

Nevertheless I agreed to go to the game intending to heckle rather than play this time however through a series of circumstances - or more accurately a friend coercing me - I wound up with a pile of chips in front of me and cards dealt out.

I also was given a new name; investment. The friend with the coercive powers had also put my 'buy in' into the kitty in the hopes of a high return. Not a wise move as far as I was concerned but then again miracles do happen.

And they did, I lasted half an hour before I went all in, expecting to be the second person to bow out of the game. Instead I won my hand, a miracle which happened more than once during the course of the night.

Round after round I bet or sat out as the fancy took me, a cheat sheet spread out in front of me still failing to illuminate what I was doing. It also didn't help that two hours in I forgot which colour chip was worth what, making my betting even more erratic. But that still didn't stop me from staying the distance and as the night wore on person after person, including The Boy, bowed out. But somehow my little pile of chips and I stayed the course until the inevitable happened and I lived up to my threat and went out in a blaze of glory and my little pile went to a new home.

But as far as I'm concerned third place is still pretty damn good. And being declared a a good investment was just icing on the cake.













No comments:

Post a Comment