Thursday 5 April 2012

Yum yum in my tum

I love spicy food.

Indian, Thai, Mexican, generic miscellaneous curries, I love them all. If it were physically possible I would eat a curry for every meal, every day, which why I'm struggling in a city where it's next to impossible to find a decent curry.

Now don't get me wrong, France richly deserves its culinary reputation and there are more than enough curry houses throughout Paris but in a country where restaurants offering international cuisine have only been allowed to open in the past few decades it's near impossible to get a curry which is more than flavoured coconut milk.

This may be why many of my food adventures on my travels include hunting for a good curry.

On a previous visit to London I"d dragged The Boy to the infamous Brick Lane for a feed and stumbled out a few hours later with an over-full stomach and a big grin. The Boy however only uttered "I've had a better curry in Bayswater".

On my most recent trip to London we were booked into a hole of a hotel in Bayswater, and my curry hunger was once again ignited. But I was foiled when out on a pub crawl with friends in West London. I figured there was only so many times I could enthusiastically yell "curry!" (or later on in the pub crawl slur it), before I earned myself a punch in the face. It was about this time that a friend, let's call her B, suggested bypassing curry for Eritrean. I could still get my chilli fix and we'd branch out cuisine-wise a little more than before.

"Eritrean, what the hell is that?" was circling around in my head, but B is easily as big a foodie as The Boy and after having experienced her cooking first hand I had learned to trust her taste in food so off we trundled on a big red bus to Westbourne Park.

The street might have been littered with roadworks, but pushing inside the door of Mosob was like entering a different world where the food actually comes second to the dining experience and you quite literally have to earn your meal. We were seated and immediately given a puzzle - name the nearly 20 capital cities in the world which begin and end with the same letter -  to solve by the time our food was brought out.
The meal, which was absolutely delicious, was served on a huge platter for every one to share although we were strictly warned to only eat within our borders, and we were given more puzzles to solve and general info about Eritrea itself.

This time again I stumbled outside into the cold night with an over-full stomach, but it wasn't the food that The Boy, B and I spoke about on the way home but rather about the experience itself.

And I left London a day later a very happy girl!

I wouldn't normally do this but I enjoyed Mosob so much I want to spread the word so check them out at: http://mosob.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment