Tuesday 8 November 2011

A touch of home


It's been nearly two months since I packed my bags and jetted off to Europe for a year of travel, and although I am starting to tire of living out of a backpack I am excited daily about the different sights and sounds of my new home.
 I am also yet to experience any kind of homesickness beyond daily pangs of  wishing such and such a person was with me to see/hear/taste what I am seeing/hearing/tasting.

But this week I had my first taste of longing for home.

The Boy and I dragged some friends along to see The Cat Empire at Olympia - the first time I've ever seen them live and can I just say wow! - but the thing that struck me the most was after being surrounded by a sea of French and English accents for weeks was how sentimental I felt hearing Australian accents on the stage while I danced to the songs I boogied to throughout my university days.

For a few brief minutes I had my first longing for home and for warm sunshine and lazy, hazy days spent splashing around at the beach.
Come the morning though I was still incredibly happy to be somewhere where chomping on a pain au chocolat for breakfast and a bottle of wine drunk with lunch is completely acceptable.

No comments:

Post a Comment